Introduction – ECOW-GEN
The ECOWAS Programme on Gender Mainstreaming in Energy Access (ECOW-GEN), since its
establishment, in 2013 has worked to steer ECOWAS Member States towards the direction of
mainstreaming gender in policy formulation, legislative drafting, energy project and programme
design and implementation, with the intention to promote equality in energy development
through equal access to resources and equal contribution to the decision-making processes that
shape and influence energy expansion in West Africa.
During the pilot phase (2013 – 2014) and the first programmatic cycle (2015 – 2019), ECOW-GEN
produced the regional policy, the ECOWAS Policy for Gender Mainstreaming in Energy Access,
and the legal framework, the ECOWAS Directive for Gender Assessment in Energy Projects.
Moreover, ECOW-GEN established a facility for technical and financial assistance to support
development of women-led energy businesses in West Africa, among other milestone
In the second programmatic cycle (2020 – 2024), ECOW-GEN thrives to
consolidate the achievements made at the regional level by strengthening the capacity of
ECOWAS Member States to institutionalize and replicate the objectives of the programme at the
CALL FOR CONTRIBUTORS – SolarEyes International (fully remote)
ECREEE is seeking a junior gender-energy expert, as programme assistant, to support in the
implementation of the programme activities.
Duties and Responsibilities -ECOW-GEN PROGRAMME ASSISTANT
The Assistant is a Junior Gender-Energy Expert whose duties include to:
• Assist to update the Programme document to reflect the status of implementation of
the ECOWAS Programme on Gender Mainstreaming in Energy Access (ECOW-GEN).
Assist to develop and coordinate relevant programme activities/annual workplans
towards achieving expected results in accordance with the Programme Document.
• Assist in daily management of relevant parts of the programme – both organizational
and substantive matters – budgeting, planning and general monitoring of the
programme in close collaboration with the ECREEE Renewable Energy and Energy
Efficiency Programme Officers.
• Assist to develop information, communication, and education (IEC) materials and
ensure dissemination of information and knowledge management for effective
• Assist in management of the ECOW-GENetwork and ensure that the objectives of the
network are effectively met.
• Assist to prepare terms of reference for national and international consultants and
• Assist to prepare and launch calls for proposals and expression of interest for projects
to be supported through the ECOW-GEN grant facilities; evaluate and select
technically and commercially sound projects for grant support; monitor projects for
their effective implementation.
• Assist to monitor and guide the work of consultants and subcontractors for
compliance with the agreed work plan.
• Assist to prepare revisions of the work plan, if required
Support development and implementation of self-monitoring, quality assurance and
independent evaluation systems, including facilitated feedback from Member States
and international partners, as a basis to sharpen and improve the objectives, strategy,
and operations of ECOW-GEN.
• Assist to monitor the expenditures, commitments, and balance of funds in line with
the annual work plan and reporting requirements.
• Draft quarterly program progress reports, as well as any other reports requested by
• Assist in effective operation of the ECOW-GEN Technical Advisory Group/Gender
Focal Units in the respective Member States, and the Steering Committee.
• Assist in building new partnerships with relevant institutions and identify funding
opportunities for running the programme’s activities.
• Undertake any other actions related to the programme as requested by your
Qualifications – ECOW-GEN PROGRAMME ASSISTANT
• Master’s degree in energy, gender studies, economics, developmental studies, or any
• At least 2 years of work experience in gender and energy.
• Sufficient knowledge of the ECOWAS gender and energy situation: policies, legal and
Ability to undertake research and lead strategic dialogue on key development issues.
• Strong problem solving, communication, research, and analytical writing as well as
• At least fluency in two ECOWAS working languages required.
Lump sum Monthly Fee
The Lump sum annual fee is between USD12,000 and USD12,511.2 payable monthly.
Interested applicants should submit CV and cover letter to email@example.com by
20th March 2023.
WHATSAPP, TELEGRAM GROUP, LINKEDIN and FACEBOOK
*** ALSO CHECK: VITALITE – Electrifying Zambian rural and peri-urban households through solar
WHAT IS A SOLAR HOME SYSTEM (SHS) – 7 treasure things to know
LIVING UNDER THE GRID IN ZIMBABWE – little known facts about this catastrophe
HOW TO SIZE A SOLAR SYSTEM – 5 clear steps anyone can follow