Program Officer – USAID
Agency: U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)
Organization: Bureau for Development, Democracy, and Innovation, Innovation, Technology, and Research Hub, Technology Division (DDI/ITR/T)
Location of Position: Washington, DC
Open Period: April 21, 2023 – May 8, 2023
Appointment Type: This is an excepted service, time-limited appointment that is not to exceed five years; may be considered for further extension or a maximum of nine years.
Salary: Foreign Service Pay Table (Washington, DC Locality)
Number of Vacancies: One
Program Officer – USAID
Description of Organization: DDI integrates technical expertise with values-driven, cross-cutting priorities and modern approaches to the way USAID performs its work.
It provides client-centered technical services to USAID’s Missions worldwide, supports programming to innovate, learn and address emerging issues, and provides technical leadership within the Agency and externally to enhance development impact.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion: All DDI employees are measured on how they foster a climate of respect in interactions with others, value differing perspectives, and treat others in a fair, equitable, and culturally sensitive manner.
All employees are expected to adhere to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) policies and value diversity and inclusion in performing everyday duties and responsibilities.
Description of Position: This position will provide overall management and have supervisory responsibility within DDI/ITR/T’s Strategy and Research team.
The incumbent is responsible for and will demonstrate a clear understanding of how emerging technologies intersect with global development, both in how emerging technologies may be used in development practice, and also how development actors can support the enabling environment for responsible use of emerging technologies.
This position leads a diverse team that develops and manages global initiatives, as well as alliances with responsible partners; promotes sound, evidence-based programming across the development community; provides support policy analysis, sociotechnical research, broad agency initiative development and rollout, design and procurement of global mechanisms, and interagency coordination—all focused on emerging technology and emerging trends in technology; provides guidance and support to USAID staff on emerging technology implications for their work; and collaborates/coordinates with other Agency Operating Units and the interagency.
Future of Work Designation: This position has been designated as Telework Eligible (from three to eight days per pay period).
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level 03 of this position. Examples of specialized experience include:
- Demonstrated history of working at the intersection of emerging technology and international development, with at least one year of experience managing teams focused on this topic;
- A strong research background is required, as well as the ability to translate research into best practices, guidance, policy, tools, and training on emerging trends in technology for a wide variety of audiences;
- Manage initiatives or technical assistance programs that focus on responsible use of emerging technology across sectors;
- Demonstrated capacity for (or experience in) leading a team and fostering an environment of collegiality, integrity, empowerment, collaborativeness, and professional development; and
- Promote the development and implementation of responsible use of emerging technology among the development community.
- Must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) security clearance.
Interested candidates should submit:
Cover Letter expressing interest and clearly addressing the stated requirements for the position;
Resume/CV and Transcripts (as necessary for positions with a positive education requirement);
Stated Security Clearance level, if applicable;
Stated U.S. Citizenship (if citizenship is not stated, application will not be considered);
DD214 and other veteran status, if applicable; and
SF-50/Appointment Letter indicating former or current Political Appointment, if applicable.
Please submit your application package to [email protected]. Please use the subject line: “FSL APPLICATION PACKAGE: Program Officer – FSL-02 DDI/ITR/T.”
Application submissions are required by 11:59 p.m. EST, May 8, 2023. Packages not submitted by the deadline with the specified subject line—or incomplete packages—will not receive consideration. This notice may be used to fill additional vacancies, as the workforce needs of the Bureau may change.
FOLLOW US ON OUR CHANNELS
*** ALSO CHECK: ABBREVIATIONS IN THE SOLAR ENERGY SECTOR