Gender and Youth Specialist (STC) – SE4ALL
Background about SEforALL
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is an international organization working with leaders in government, the private sector and civil society to drive further, faster action toward achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7), which calls for universal access to sustainable energy by 2030, and the Paris Agreement, which calls for reducing greenhouse gas emissions to limit climate warming to well below 2° Celsius (and striving for 1.5° Celsius).
Achieving these goals will require a radical rethink of the way we produce, distribute and consume energy. SEforALL is at the heart of this foundational shift to ensure no one is left behind. Drawing on data and evidence, we identify a critical path to success in achieving SDG7.
The 8th UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon launched the Sustainable Energy for All initiative in 2011. Now an independent organization, we maintain close links with the UN, including through a relationship agreement, partnerships with UN agencies and with SEforALL’s CEO acting as the UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative (SRSG) for Sustainable Energy for All and Co-Chair of UN-Energy. These roles include advising the UN Secretary General and his staff on issues relating to sustainable energy and the implementation of SDG7 and supporting the coordination of sustainable energy issues in the United Nations system.
The ambitions of SDG7 are extraordinary. Aiming to achieve them in the context of the Paris Agreement on climate change involves transformation at a scale never undertaken before. Swift action must be taken by leaders in governments, private sector companies, institutions, financiers, development banks, unions, communities, entrepreneurs and civil society.
As we enter the final decade to achieve SDG7, SEforALL has strategically chosen to strengthen global agenda-setting while expanding its activities to an engagement model that prioritizes data-driven decision-making, partnerships with high-impact countries and implementation on the ground. SEforALL’s current three-year business plan outlines “results offers” that scope out our planned interventions and demonstrate to our funding partners the impact of their support.
Purpose/Objective of the Role: Gender and Youth Specialist (STC) – SE4ALL
The People Centered Programme works across SEforALL to tailor solutions for cross-cutting energy sector challenges and opportunities – including gender equality, youth inclusion, and clean cooking across the board – while also implementing targeted, transformative projects in the sector.
The women and youth at the forefront programme focuses to ensure that gender and youth perspectives are embedded in SDG7 policy and implemented and to create an enabling environment for increased access to professional development and economic opportunities in the climate and energy sphere.
Purpose/Objective of the Role
The main objectives of the role include the following:
- Support the development and implementation of SEforALL’s Gender and Youth Strategy across SEforALL’s programmes and Initiatives.
- Coordinate the mainstreaming of Gender and Youth activities in Energy Transition Plans (ETP) , and Special Projects across Africa.
Main duties and tasks of the Role: Gender and Youth Specialist (STC) – SE4ALL
The main duties and tasks of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Support the implementation of activities alongside other members of the Women and Youth at the Forefront team, under the direction of the programme manager.
- Contribute to the development and management of relationships with SEforALL’s ongoing gender and youth partners and stakeholders.
- Support the development of SEforALL programming for gender and youth focused activities in Africa.
- Support the implementation of Gender and Youth initiatives and projects globally.
- Support the development of funding proposals related to gender and youth engagement by the Resource Mobilization team.
- Draft and provide communications materials, including web stories, social media posts and presentations to advance the gender and youth strategy and SEforALL’s overall engagement.
- Support monitoring, evaluation and learning processes.
- Coordinate and lead the mainstreaming strategy for Youth and Gender in ETPs- with focus on Africa.
- Provide in- country oversight on designated Gender and Youth activities.
- Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing in own work area to bring about awareness and understanding, as well as utilize SEforALL systems and process to share the knowledge. e.g., Salesforce.
- Other tasks and duties as may be required.
Specific Competencies for the Role
- Master’s degree in public policy, economics, sustainable development, energy, or a closely related field. Relevant post-graduate qualification will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of five years of experience in youth engagement, international development and/or the energy field.
- Strong experience speaking in the youth energy space, representing youth at international fora.
- Desirable experience working with donors and stakeholders on partnerships.
- Excellent judgement, discretion, interpersonal skills, problem-solving capability, and comfort with protocol.
- Excellent public speaking skills, with preferred experience acting as a youth representative or speaking at global events on behalf of youth.
- Respect and understanding of various cultures and regions, with a high level of maturity and diplomacy needed to interact with various youth groups.
General Competences for the Role
Innovation and Adaptability: Has proficient skills and commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities. Is flexible to evolving circumstances, as well as helps others in doing so.
Resilience and Emotional Intelligence: Has proficient knowledge in the concepts of resilience and emotional intelligence. Is able to remain calm in challenging situations, to cope with setbacks, is responsive to the emotions of others and maintains a high level of performance..
Analytical and Strategic Thinking: Has a proficient level of analytical and strategic thinking skills. Gathers and processes demanding information, develops innovative solutions and contributes by representing topics/approaches in internal working groups/teams.
Collaboration and Partnership: Demonstrates proficient initiative and abilities to collaborate and partner with others in own are, and across teams. Identifies, develops, builds and actively promotes partnerships and collaboration, maintaining long-lasting partnerships. Displays team-oriented attitude contributing to creating a positive team spirit.
Lead and Empower: Demonstrates initiative and role model behaviour in leading and empowering others. Takes responsibility for own work activities and personal actions and carries out the commitments agreed upon.
Political and diplomatic understanding: Has a proficient level of political and diplomatic understanding.
Communicating information: Has expert skills in communicating information and uses the skills effectively in own scope of work and in others’ work.
Research and Analytics: Has proficient skills in research and analytics and uses the skills effectively in own scope of work.
Project Management: Has proficient skills in project management. Plans and organises their own work using project management tools in support of achieving the team’s objectives.
Client Orientation / Striving for Excellence: Has proficient skills in client orientation and achieving excellency in work delivery.
Our Values – please refer to our core values as defined here: https://www.seforall.org/who-we-are/staff/our-values.
Salary information: The successful candidate will be offered an all-in daily rate determined depending on the successful candidate’s qualification and experience, and applying the principle of internal equity.
Additional Considerations: Gender and Youth Specialist (STC) – SE4ALL
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- SEforALL provides competitive compensation packages at its locations in Vienna, Washington DC and New York City, and flexibility and result orientated modern workplace arrangements.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.
Your data will not be passed on to third parties outside SEforALL. We will only use your data to the extent necessary for the purposes of selecting personnel in accordance with the applicable data protection regulations.
We will only disclose your personal information if we are required to do so by a court´s or administrative authority´s decision. In such a case, we will inform you as soon as possible of such an order so that you can take legal action against it if necessary. Please email to [email protected] if you require updates to your information in accordance with Art. 5 lit. d of the GDPR
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
*** ALSO CHECK: HOW TO SIZE A SOLAR SYSTEM – 5 clear steps anyone can follow