About the Organization: ClimateWorks
ClimateWorks Foundation is a global organization committed to our mission: to end the climate crisis by amplifying the power of philanthropy. Since our founding in 2008, we have awarded over $1 billion in grants to more than 500 organizations advancing climate solutions around the world.
We helped grow the field of climate philanthropy to where it stands today, establishing infrastructure, global networks, and momentum for continued growth.
Through our Global Programs and Services we equip philanthropy with global knowledge, networks, and solutions to drive climate progress.
- Scaling solutions: Our collaborative Global Programs — focused on solution areas including carbon dioxide removal, cooling, industry, transportation, and more — produce results that are bending the greenhouse gas emissions curve. From the U.S. to Europe, China, Brazil, and beyond, we collaborate with a diverse community of funders, NGOs, and climate leaders to accelerate just and equitable climate solutions.
- Guiding and supporting funders: We provide Global Services provide funders with comprehensive resources to assess, build, evolve, and execute high-impact climate-giving strategies. Our Global Intelligence service equips funders and the climate community with climate insights to pinpoint opportunities for impact and philanthropic insights to help identify investment priorities. We facilitate Global Collaborations that enable funders to increase individual and collective impact. Our Global Grantmaking services enable funders to invest in climate solutions around the world.
- Fostering collaboration, exploration, and growth: Our collaborative approach and commitment to learning ensures that we continuously explore innovative ideas and emerging opportunities — all with the aim of scaling philanthropy-supported initiatives to help end the climate crisis.
As experts in climate science, public policy, economic and social analysis, and strategic philanthropy, ClimateWorks’ staff understands the multi-faceted challenges and opportunities of climate change.
We are researchers, strategists, collaborators, and grantmakers who care passionately about our mission. For more information, please visit www.climateworks.org.
About our Industry Program: Program Associate, Industry – ClimateWorks
ClimateWorks Foundation Industry program works to reduce and eventually eliminate the one-third of greenhouse gases that come from manufacturing, mining, construction, and waste processing.
We focus on the most GHG-intensive industries, like steel, cement, and chemicals. We promote social, governmental, and technology pathways that will meet people’s material needs, support employment and equitable economic development, and safeguard the climate.
Our funding supports a coalition of advocates, researchers, policymakers, consumers, businesses, and other stakeholders who are working together to transform the material economy.
Job Summary – Program Associate, Industry – ClimateWorks
The Program Associate will support the overall activities of the Industry Program through both program administration and research and analysis.
This includes managing the grantmaking process, organizing events, maintaining effective communication with partners and grantees, identifying potential grantees and helping to scope grants, writing reports, supporting collaborations with other programs like finance and food/agriculture, and assessing trends in relevant economic and political circumstances.
Based on the program associate’s expertise and ability, there may be an opportunity for the program associate to develop a new grantmaking strategy in collaboration with the program director in one of our priority areas. These are:
- Bulk chemicals, especially plastic and fertilizer;
- International trade; or
- Grassroots campaigning.
The program associate will conduct independent research on industrial activity, greenhouse gas emissions, technologies, policies, economic impacts, and market conditions to support the overall industry program.
Essential Tasks: Program Associate, Industry – ClimateWorks
The Program Associate is responsible for the following duties:
- Ensure the smooth and effective passage of grants through the multi-stage process of assessment, disbursement, and evaluation. This can require adhering to tight timelines.
- Manage relationships with grantees, including understanding their needs and circumstances, ensuring the effective two-way flow of information, and receiving regular reports.
- Identify new potential grantees and help scope fundable projects.
- Support the development of program strategy to shift an important sector of the economy to a climate-safe path.
- Work with other teams at CWF to support action on cross-cutting strategies or priorities.
- Prepare documents, briefings, budgets, communications materials, and other work products for sharing outside the organization. Ensure knowledge is shared through written communications and online or in-person events.
- Provide research, planning, and general support to the program as needed.
Required Qualifications: Program Associate, Industry – ClimateWorks
The successful applicant will have the following minimum qualifications:
- Strong project management skills based on 2-4 years’ experience in a relevant role.
- Excellent relationship management and collaboration skills.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including writing for general audiences.
- Comfort in thinking about numbers, including good intuition about the quality of data sources and how to appropriately compare numbers to one another. Ability to do simple quantitative analyses like making and correctly interpreting time series and scatter plots.
- Resourcefulness, good judgement, and a commitment to excellence and integrity. Ability to both work independently and seek help when appropriate.
- A strong foundation of understanding of climate change, including technical, political, and economic drivers.
- Commitment to the mission and values of ClimateWorks Foundation, including a passion for solving climate change.
- Caring and generous attitude toward colleagues, grantees, and partners, and a commitment to supporting people to build careers and institutions.
- Commitment to a diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment.
Desired qualifications include experience or expertise in one of the following areas:
- Indian policy and government, especially if also possessing work experience in India or or knowledge of the Indian industrial sector;
- Chemicals manufacturing, chemical engineering, or plastics;
- International trade; or
- Campaign strategy development and execution, including electoral campaigns, grassroots campaigns, or corporate pressure campaigns; or
Other desired qualifications include:
- Masters degree in engineering, policy, or another relevant field is preferred.
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed, likely one trip per quarter once Covid travel restrictions are lifted.
- Experience working with non-profits or in government.
Compensation: Program Associate, Industry – ClimateWorks
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
Salary Range: $70,000 – $80,000 annually ***ClimateWorks strives to create an equitable culture of transparency and fairness.
Location: Program Associate, Industry – ClimateWorks
ClimateWorks Foundation is based in the San Francisco Financial District. This position is San Francisco based.
Commitment to Racial and Social Justice
At ClimateWorks Foundation, we are driven by our vision of creating a thriving planet for all living beings for generations to come.
We aim to foster an inclusive workplace that values diverse lived experiences and emphasizes the voices of marginalized people — especially Black, Indigenous, and People of Color — who are most vulnerable to climate impacts, and whose voices, ideas, and leadership are crucial to winning the climate fight.
To ensure that we are making meaningful progress, we have made a set of diversity, equity, and inclusion commitments across all dimensions of our work to further our mission and realize our vision. For more information, please visit: Fostering Racial and Social Justice in Pursuit of our Mission
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at ClimateWorks Foundation and as such we are committed to creating a diverse and multi-cultural work environment.
We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race (including traits historically associated with race), ethnicity, religion, color, sex (including childbirth, breast feeding, and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniform service member and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, age, protected medical condition, genetic information, disability, or any other protected status in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
This policy extends to all aspects of our employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, discipline, termination, promotions, transfers, compensation, benefits, training, leaves of absence, and other terms and conditions of employment.
ClimateWorks Foundation is committed to complying with all laws protecting qualified individuals with disabilities, as well as employees’ religious beliefs and practices.
This policy extends to all aspects of our employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, discipline, termination, promotions, transfers, compensation, benefits, training, leaves of absence, and other terms and conditions of employment. ClimateWorks Foundation will provide a reasonable accommodation for any known physical or mental disability of a qualified individual and/or employees’ religious beliefs and practices, as required by law.
If you require an accommodation, please notify Human Resources. Once ClimateWorks Foundation is aware of the need for an accommodation, it will engage in an interactive process to identify possible accommodations.
Application Process: Program Associate, Industry – ClimateWorks
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. To be considered for this position, interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter. This position will remain open until filled.
Employment at the ClimateWorks Foundation is at-will.
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package:
Multiple options available through Kaiser & UHC
- HMO – 100% coverage for employee and dependents
- POS – Employee pays difference beyond HMO coverage (3 out of 4 POS options are at 100% coverage for employee and dependents)
- Dental –100% coverage for employee and dependents
- Vision – 100% coverage for employee and dependents
- Fertility care through Carrot Fertility. Access to on-demand doctor-approved content, pregnancy support, and virtual chats with medical, legal, and regulatory experts.
Disability Benefit (long and short-term)
Life Insurance (3x base salary up to $750k for employee only)
- 20 days (1st year)
- 25 days (2nd – 8th year)
- 30 days (9th year)
- 11 Observed and 2 floating
- After 6 months of service, CWF automatically contributes 9% of gross earnings per pay period to retirement fund*
- After 6 months of service, CWF matches 100% of employee contributions up to a max of 6% of gross earnings per pay period*