UNICEF Consultancy – Digitizing the Solar Sizing Tool and Sustainable Energy Hotline, East and Southern Africa Regional Office, 12 months
Job no: 564145
Contract type: Consultant
Duty Station: Nairobi
Categories: WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene)
Background and Justification
UNICEF has a strategic objective to integrate Climate & Environment, Sustainable Energy, and Disaster Risk Reduction practices throughout its operations at Headquarters, Regional, and Country Offices. To achieve this, for task 1, UNICEF RO has created a regional solar sizing tool through a survey-based form that generates essential information such as electrical capacity, financial requirements, carbon emission reduction, and payback periods. The solar sizing tool has been offline until now, and this consultancy aims to digitize it and create a web-based version following UNICEF guidelines for website creation.
The consultant will work closely with UNICEF Energy Specialist to identify opportunities for promoting sustainable energy in ESAR and will provide guidance and support in energy policy, climate financing, project planning and implementation, and stakeholder engagement.
Scope of Work: UNICEF Consultancy – Digitizing the Solar Sizing Tool and Sustainable Energy Hotline, East and Southern Africa Regional Office, 12 months
Task 1: Scope of work for Digitizing the Solar Sizing Tool:
Inception Report: The consultant will collaborate closely with the UNICEF Energy specialist to gather requirements for developing a web-based solar sizing tool. The primary objective will be to comprehensively understand the functionality and limitations of the existing offline version.
Web-based Development: The consultant will develop the web-based solar sizing tool using UNICEF guidelines for website creation.
Testing and Quality Assurance: The consultant will thoroughly test the web-based tool to ensure that it functions as intended and meets the specific needs of UNICEF and its staff.
Training, Documentation, and Knowledge Transfer: The consultant will train UNICEF staff on using the web-based solar sizing tool. This will include documentation and user guides to ensure the team can use the tool effectively.
Maintenance and Support:
The consultant will provide ongoing maintenance and support for the web-based solar sizing tool two years after delivery.
The consultant will also provide a maintenance and support plan after the 2-year period, outlining the maintenance activities required to ensure the continued functionality and reliability of the solar sizing tool, including the frequency of maintenance activities, the tasks involved, and the estimated costs.
The pricing for the maintenance and support services will be outlined in the contract and will cover the 2 years and any subsequent maintenance activities.
Deliverables: UNICEF Consultancy – Digitizing the Solar Sizing Tool and Sustainable Energy Hotline, East and Southern Africa Regional Office, 12 months
- Inception Report: This report will provide a detailed overview of the consultant’s findings and recommendations concerning the requirements for developing a web-based solar sizing tool.
- Web-based Solar Sizing Tool: The consultant will develop a web-based tool that meets the requirements gathered in Phase 1. The device will be designed to be user-friendly, with enhanced data management and analysis capabilities and improved accuracy in generating results.
- Training, Documentation, and Knowledge Transfer: the consultant will develop and deliver a comprehensive training package to equip UNICEF staff with the necessary skills to proficiently utilize the web-based solar sizing tool.
- Maintenance and Support Plan: The consultant will provide a maintenance and support plan for the web-based solar sizing tool two years after delivery.
Task 2: Scope of work for Sustainable Energy Hotline
- The hotline is specifically designed to provide prompt assistance to country office teams implementing sustainable energy projects.
- The consultant is available through the hotline and will offer comprehensive services to support organizations working on renewable energy projects in the Eastern and Southern Africa Region (ESAR).
- The consultant will assess the environmental impact of energy initiatives by analyzing and quantifying carbon emissions, identifying emission reduction areas, and implementing strategies to minimize the project’s carbon footprint.
- The consultant will provide recommendations for necessary investments to support the implementation of sustainable energy projects.
- The consultant will work closely with UNICEF’s Climate unit and 21 country offices (COs) to identify their specific needs and develop a customized plan for providing support.
Through the hotline, UNICEF will have access to a highly skilled and experienced consultant who can provide the guidance and support needed to ensure the success of their projects. By leveraging the consultant’s expertise, UNICEF aims to significantly contribute to promoting sustainable development and reducing GHG emissions in the region.
- – Project plan: The consultant will develop a comprehensive project plan in collaboration with the organization. This plan will include specific activities to be carried out, a timeline for completion, and the resources required to implement the project successfully. The consultant will conduct assessments of existing renewable energy systems to identify areas where efficiency can be improved and provide recommendations for reducing costs. Based on the findings, develop a customized plan for providing support: The consultant will work closely with UNICEF ESARO’s Climate team and 21 country offices (COs) to identify their specific needs and develop a customized plan for providing support.
- – Assistance in developing new renewable energy initiatives: The consultant will assist organizations in developing new renewable energy initiatives by providing technical support, answering questions, and offering guidance on best practices in sustainable energy through developing three concept notes to prioritize COs.
- – Progress reports demonstrating technical support and guidance: The consultant will provide regular progress reports to track the project’s status. These reports will detail the progress made, any challenges encountered, and any changes made to the project plan. The consultant will be available to answer questions, provide technical support, and offer guidance on best practices in sustainable energy. This may include advice on optimizing existing renewable energy systems and overcoming specific challenges the organization may face.
The consultant is expected to make a financial proposal based on the rate for professional fees.
Desired competencies, technical background, and experience
- Education: A master’s degree in Engineering, Renewable Energy, or a related field. A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with six additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- Skills: The consultant must possess demonstrated skills in project management, renewable energy markets, renewable energy technologies, data analysis, financial modeling, and carbon emission/reduction estimations, and have adequate knowledge of relevant regulations and policies related to sustainable energy approaches.
- Experience: A minimum of eight years of professional experience in the above-mentioned areas is required.
- Prior experience working with UNICEF or any other international development agencies is desirable. Familiarity with UNICEF’s policies, procedures, and best practices is highly desirable.
- Candidates who have demonstrated experience in Web-based software designs, preferably in energy/water access and transition. Individuals with a proven track record of successfully implementing projects or initiatives similar to those undertaken by our organization will be highly valued.
- Must exhibit the UNICEF Core Values of:
- Care; Respect; Integrity; Trust;Accountability
- Required competencies that the consultant should have for the assignment as per UNICEF competency framework
- Self-awareness and ethical awareness
- Drive to achieve results
- Work collaboratively with others
- Innovating and embracing change
The consultant will be required to always observe all government COVID protocols.
The contractor is expected to be home (or Nairobi) based, with travel to Nairobi if needed.
Conditions: UNICEF Consultancy – Digitizing the Solar Sizing Tool and Sustainable Energy Hotline, East and Southern Africa Regional Office, 12 months
The consultant will be required to provide all material resources, including but not limited to laptop and office equipment he/she may need to successfully undertake the assignment.
The consultant will be required to work from their location. UNICEF will not provide office space for the consultant.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, CV, application form, and their technical proposals to the online recruitment portal (Talent Management System) or email provided.
Interested candidates to indicate ability, availability, and daily rate expressed in KES for nationally recruited candidates and USD for internationally recruited candidates. Applications submitted without a fee/ rate will not be considered.
UNICEF offers reasonable accommodation for consultants/individual contractors with disabilities. This may include, for example, accessible software, travel assistance for missions or personal attendants. We encourage you to disclose your disability during your application in case you need reasonable accommodation during the selection process and afterwards in your assignment.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
Advertised: 18 Jul 2023 E. Africa Standard Time
Deadline: 31 Jul 2023 E. Africa Standard Time
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
*** ALSO CHECK: HOW TO SIZE A SOLAR SYSTEM – 5 clear steps anyone can follow