Energy Specialist – ADB, USD $127,700 per year
|Energy Sector Office
|Asian Development Bank Headquarters
|Tuesday, August 29, 2023
|Tuesday, September 12, 2023 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Energy Specialist – ADB, USD $127,700 per year
Effective 1 September 2023, the term “Standard Fixed Term Appointment” will be updated to “Fixed Term Appointment with Option to Regularize”
- This change does not involve any modifications to the appointment terms.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Energy Sector Office of the Sectors Group (SG-ENE) under the Sectors Group. The Sectors Group is a single operational group comprising seven sector offices that aims to deliver impactful sector strategy, initiatives, and integrated solutions that advance ADB’s strategic agenda in the region and with ADB’s clients.
The Sectors Group delivers or supports the delivery of sovereign, nonsovereign, and advisory operations, and knowledge services, supports regional departments (RD) and resident missions (RM) in engaging with Developing Member Countries (DMCs), and ensures ADB’s technical leadership externally and internally. SG-ENE is responsible for ADB’s energy sector operations.
SG-ENE deals with policy development, oversight of strategy implementation, knowledge management, budget management, project quality assurance, sector analytic work and most loan and technical assistance processing and administration in the energy sector. SG-ENE is also responsible for implementing two ADB corporate initiatives: the Energy Transition Mechanism (ETM) and the Just Energy Transition Partnership (JETP) programs.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
Job Purpose: Energy Specialist – ADB, USD $127,700 per year
The Energy Specialist will support the identification, development, processing and implementation of investment and technical assistance (TAs) projects and non-lending products and services (NLPS) in the energy sector (including climate change mitigation projects) that contribute to ADB’s goal of reducing poverty and as a climate change bank.
He/she will contribute in formulating and articulating energy sector policy and strategies, engaging Developing Member Country (DMC) governments in policy dialogue, and conducting ADB’s activities to support sector policy and reforms, with particular responsibility to identify opportunities for energy transition, in line with ADB’s 2021 Energy Policy (2021).
He/She will build effective partnerships with other departments such as Climate Change and Sustainable Development Department, Office of Market Development and Private Sector Development, and Private Sector Operations Department, and the Regional Departments, and with co-financing units to deliver value-added services to the DMCs. The incumbent will report to the designated Director, SG-ENE. The incumbent will supervise National and Administrative Staff.
Responsibilities: Energy Specialist – ADB, USD $127,700 per year
• Support the development of policy and strategies in the energy sector for sustainable and low carbon development in the DMCs, in consultation with relevant government agencies and resident missions in the region. Collaborate with other sector offices and departments in ADB to propose integrated solutions in response to DMC needs.
• Conduct policy dialogue to assist governments to undertake energy sector reform, ensure efficient use of resources and encourage participation of the private sector.
• Provide guidance, advice, and comment on energy sector issues in the initiation, development, processing and administration of loan, TA projects and capacity building initiatives. Identify and introduce innovative and smart solutions and international best practices in the design and administration of loans, grants and TAs. Propose appropriate contract modalities and lead discussions on procurement issues including review of bidding documents and bid evaluation reports.
• Closely coordinate with Regional Departments (RDs), Resident Missions (RMs) in identifying, developing, implementing, and administering loans, grants and TA for the Energy Sector.
• Ensure quality and compliance of lending and non-lending products and operations with respect to energy policy and strategies.
• Facilitate effective liaison and coordination with development agencies on program loans and investment projects.
• Ensure key technical, economic, financial and cross-cutting issues are incorporated into projects.
• Contribute to internal and external training and conferences on climate change, clean energy and other relevant activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge sharing.
• Supervise the performance of teams and individuals, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
• Provide coaching and mentoring to team and individuals and ensure their on-going learning and development.
• Performs other tasks as required and reflected in the annual workplan.
Qualifications: Energy Specialist – ADB, USD $127,700 per year
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master’s degree or equivalent in engineering, economics, finance or business administration or related fields. Alternatively, University degree in engineering, economics, finance or business administration or related fields and at least 5 years specialized experience relevant to the position can be considered.
• At least 8 years of relevant experience in energy and climate change fields at senior levels.
• Significant expertise within a specific area of ADB’s operations (economic, sector or thematic), or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area.
• Ability to mentor team members, providing guidance and advice on project or technical-related matters.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
• International experience working in development in several countries.
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff level 4
General Considerations: Energy Specialist – ADB, USD $127,700 per year
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
*** ALSO CHECK: HOW TO SIZE A SOLAR SYSTEM – 5 clear steps anyone can follow