Green Energy Analyst – Energy Efficiency
Job Identification: 12763. Locations: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posting Date: 08/01/2023, 04:47 PM. Apply Before: 08/16/2023, 04:59 AM
Job Schedule: Full time. Agency: UNDP. Grade: IPSA-9
Vacancy Type: International Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area: Innovation. Bureau: HQ. Contract Duration: 1 Year
Education & Work Experience: Master’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year(s) experience
Required Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English is required
Desired Languages: Knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Office of Information and Technology Management (ITM) is the organization’s primary provider of ICT systems and green energy services and solutions to a global network of 155+ UNDP Country Offices and partners worldwide. ITM’s mission is to develop Smart Facilities which guarantee efficient, innovative, and sustainable management of technologies for UN facilities and partners consistent with Sustainable Development Goals.
Among other technologies, ITM offers a framework of best practices to deliver resilient, highly available, and sustainable business solutions that permeate across the organization. The ITM office in Copenhagen is expanding the team to cover respective green energy services which include, but are not limited to, e-Mobility, solar PV installation, energy efficiency, training and capacity building and waste management. These services are aligned with the organization’s Digital Transformation Agenda and Smart Facilities Initiative.
With many UNDP Country Offices, other UN agencies, and external partners either planning or already in the process of installing solar PV systems in their premises, the need for energy efficiency is increasing exponentially. The corporate UNDP Greening Moonshot Fund has made it even more necessary to increase efforts and expand energy efficiency services to Country Offices. Given the limited human resources capacity, ITM focus for direct implementation is mainly on residential level services. However, technical support and advisory services, including technical supervision of third parties, is offered to “clients”. In line with the best-practice 7-Step process, the energy efficiency services are offered following the steps of the process. These are as described below:
Step 1 (Preliminary Site Survey) – entails remote collection of site-specific information in liaison with a local focal point.
Step 2 (Business Case) – entails data analysis and compilation of a business case (technical, economic and environmental feasibility) for decision-making by office management.
Step 3 (Procurement) – drafting of ToRs for required services, compilation of specifications for equipment, and evaluation of proposals and quotations.
Step 4 (Site Survey) – overview of final and detailed site survey for required services to be implemented by third parties.
Step 5 (Technical Design) – final technical design review for services to be implemented by third parties, where applicable
Step 6 (Implementation) – onsite implementation of approved solution(s) by ITM and/or third party, as may be applicable.
Step 7 (Operations & Maintenance) – tier 2/3 technical support to Country Offices in operation, monitoring, and maintenance of deployed services/solutions
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the UNDP ITM Green Energy Team Leader, the Green Energy Analyst will perform the following tasks:
1) Energy Assessment:
- Actively participate in defining areas of focus and development of related tools for information collection and service provision. Play a leading role in defining safety measures for specific sites and/or internal standards to be applied across all sites in general, with focus on energy efficiency and electricity supply
- Conduct remote and occasional onsite energy assessment of office premises for dual purposes of energy efficiency and green energy installation, where applicable.
- Lead deployment and operationalization of energy meters in selected sites as assigned by the supervisor.
- Conduct market research to identify feasible and cost-effective energy efficiency services and solutions with tangible benefits for Country Offices, aligned with the 7-Step Process and tailored to Country Offices’ context.
- Lead deployment of energy efficiency service line under the guidance of the supervisor
2) Project Implementation:
- Compile business cases for assigned projects, providing all key information for decision-making by Country Offices management.
- Provide technical and project management support, coordinating all implementation activities for sites allocated by the supervisor.
- Compile solicitation documents and evaluation of energy efficiency solutions
- Compile a script for and conduct User Acceptance Testing (UAT) as part of project commissioning.
- Provide end-user and technical focal point training for proper user-behaviour and to ensure availability of tier 1 support on installed technologies.
3) Operations & Maintenance:
- Facilitate internal and external training of team members, users, and onsite focal point for tier-1 support.
- Provide tier-2 support and remote monitoring to ensure high availability of installed systems.
- Compile performance reports for assigned projects on a bi-annual basis for the first 3 reports.
- Identify and propose improvements and provide support for implementation approved proposals.
4) Solar PV projects:
- Conduct preliminary assessment and compile business cases for assigned projects
- Actively participate in solicitation and evaluation of proposals
- Provide technical support and project management for different projects assigned by supervisor.
5) E-Waste Management
- Actively participate in team and corporate initiatives and efforts on e-waste management.
- Actively participate in research efforts to establish e-waste management support for Country Offices, mainly focusing on disposal of batteries and other solar PV components.
- Conduct training and/or webinars to internal and external participants on specific topics related to e-waste management, as may be requested by the supervisor.
- On a day-to-day basis, the Energy Efficiency Analyst will be directly reporting to the Green Energy Team Leader
- The Analyst is expected to report project progress in weekly and monthly Green Energy Team meetings
Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Digital & Innovation:
- Ability to extract, analyze and visualize data (including Real-Time Data) to form meaningful insights and aid effective decision making
- Digital and Innovation:
- Ability to facilitate a process that enables a diverse group of stakeholders to solve a common problem, develop a practice, or create knowledge together
- Project Development:
- Ability to efficiently handle and manage solar projects based on PRINCE2 or PMP or other standards
- Teamwork & Capacity Building:
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge with teammates and project stakeholder
Desired additional skills and competencies:
Good exposure to designing and sizing hybrid and off-grid solar PV systems is desired;
Knowledge of international standards for energy efficiency solutions is desired;
Knowledge in or exposure to battery disposal is desired
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Energy Engineering or relevant field, or a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Green Energy Engineering with minimum 2 years of relevant experience will be considered in lieu of Master`s
With Master`s at least 2 years of relevant work experience in designing and/or deployment of energy efficiency measures. With Bachelor`s at least 4 years of relevant work experience in designing and/or deployment of energy efficiency measures
Required skills and competencies:
- Technical knowledge and experience in energy assessment of medium to large premises is required;
- Ability to analyze energy consumption data for the purpose of identifying both financial and energy saving is required;
- Experience in compiling energy efficiency reports and/or proposals for medium to large office premises is required
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required
- Knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Certified Energy Auditor (CEA) or any similar certification is an added advantage.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
a) Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number)of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
b) A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
c) Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
*** ALSO CHECK: HOW TO SIZE A SOLAR SYSTEM – 5 clear steps anyone can follow