IRENA Intern – Off-grid Renewable Energy Statistics: USD $1,200 a month plus daily accommodation rate of AED150
Secretariat of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
Knowledge Policy and Finance Centre (KPFC)
Publication/Transmission Date: 16 June 2023
Deadline for Application: 30 June 2023
Title and Grade: Intern – Off-grid Renewable Energy Statistics
Indicative Remuneration: Monthly stipend and accommodation allowance
Duration of Appointment: 6 Months
Duty Station: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Date for Entry on Duty: As soon possible
The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) is an inter-governmental organisation headquartered in Abu Dhabi, mandated to promote the widespread and increased adoption and sustainable use of all forms of renewable energy in the pursuit of sustainable development, energy access, energy security and low-carbon economic growth and prosperity. IRENA’s mission is to play a leading role in the ongoing transformation of the global energy systems as a centre of excellence for knowledge and innovation, a global voice of renewable energy, a network hub for all stakeholders and a source of advice and support for countries. At present, IRENA has 168 Members (167 States and the European Union) that acceded to its Statute, and 16 additional States in the process of accession and actively engaged.
Within this mandate, the focus of the Knowledge, Policy and Finance Centre (KPFC) is on collecting data, developing knowledge platforms and conducting analysis to support the creation of enabling environments for investment and growth in renewables. This entails analytical work on policy and finance, developing renewable energy statistics, giving input to advisory services that the Agency provides to its member states and at regional levels, developing and operating knowledge tools and analysis services for project facilitation and targeted engagement with the private sector and civil society.
Key activities of the Statistics Team include the collection and analysis of data from Member States using the IRENA Renewable Energy Statistics Questionnaire, desk research and other data sources such as industry associations. In addition to data collection, the team is also engaged in data dissemination through avenues such as the IRENA website, international events and statistical publications as well as the development of methodological guidance.
Objectives of the Internship Assignment
The Intern will assist the Statistics Team to conduct data validation, review data gaps and assess the availability of data from other sources, with a view to developing future collaboration on this topic with other agencies. The main objective of this exercise will be to strengthen IRENA’s off- grid renewables database and develop a more systematic process towards the collation of this information at the global level.
Objectives include the following:
- Data collection: Addition of off-grid RE capacity and production statistics by end-use to IRENA off-grid statistics database and following IRENA classification and measurement conventions, along with number of beneficiaries where available.
- Data validation: Discrepancies between the main statistics database and the off-grid database corrected, aligning off-grid data in the two databases.
- Data sourcing: Catalogued data references providing the sources for all data added to the statistics team’s document management system.
- Reporting: Data source documentation expanded to include new off-grid solar and biogas data sources.
The Intern will help the Statistics Team to collect and compile off-grid renewable energy data in areas such as the following:
- Solar lights and home systems: number and capacities of systems sold or distributed in recent years.
- Solar panels in public facilities: capacities installed in schools, hospitals, public lighting, and other facilities.
- Solar pumps: number and capacities of systems sold or distributed in recent years.
- Communication masts: capacities of solar panels used to power communication masts.
- Biogas digesters: number and capacities of new plants commissioned for household or other uses.
- Mini-grids: number and capacities of new mini-grids commissioned (solar, hydro, biogas).
The IRENA Internship Programme offers graduate and university students from diverse academic backgrounds an opportunity to acquire direct exposure to IRENA operations and to enhance their educational experience through practical work assignments. It allows selected candidates to gain insight into the work of the Agency and provides a learning opportunity in various professional fields.
The internship is for 6 months commencing on/about as soon possible. The exact period will be determined based on the availability of the intern and the needs of the programme. The maximum duration of the internship is nine months, subject to the intern’s continued university enrolment and performance.
Minimum Requirements: IRENA Intern – Off-grid Renewable Energy Statistics: USD $1,200 a month plus daily accommodation rate of AED150
- Candidates must have completed an undergraduate degree and be enrolled in a master’s or doctorate programme at a recognized university at the time of application and for the duration of the internship or have recently graduated and is accepted into the internship programme within six months of their graduation.
- Candidates must be fluent in English (both oral and written) and demonstrate excellent writing and communication skills.
- Competencies: Candidates should demonstrate renewable energy data collection, data analysis (ETL), Microsoft Excel and Word, solid teamwork, planning and organizing, professionalism and communications skills.
- Candidates must be able to work in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
- Preference is given to candidates studying in the fields of energy, engineering, or other related fields with a good understanding of renewable energy resources and energy statistics.
- Candidates should indicate in their cover letter the period of availability.
Internship Conditions: IRENA Intern – Off-grid Renewable Energy Statistics: USD $1,200 a month plus daily accommodation rate of AED150
IRENA internships may be remunerated if an intern is not already sponsored by their government, university or institution. In such cases, the intern is requested to indicate their sponsorship in their cover letter.
Interns of IRENA are not considered to be staff members. The selected intern will work on a full-time basis (40 hours per week) at the duty station in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
For more detailed information about the IRENA Internship Programme, please visit the internships section on our recruitment webpage.
Application Procedure: IRENA Intern – Off-grid Renewable Energy Statistics: USD $1,200 a month plus daily accommodation rate of AED150
Candidates who are interested in this assignment and meet the minimum requirements must apply for the abovementioned vacancy on-line, through IRENA’s recruitment platform, ORC, by submitting a complete and comprehensive CV and a letter of interest. Due to the high number of applications, only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for a pre-recorded and/or telephone interview.
IRENA wishes to encourage applications from female candidates and nationals of LDC and SIDS countries.
 If the selected intern is not otherwise sponsored and they are recruited outside of the commuting distance to the selected duty station, they will be they will be remunerated at a rate of USD 1,200 a month plus daily accommodation rate of AED150. In addition, the organization will pay for and arrange the intern’s travel to and from the duty station for those interns who are selected from outside of the commuting area to its premises in Abu Dhabi.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
*** ALSO CHECK: HOW TO SIZE A SOLAR SYSTEM – 5 clear steps anyone can follow