Business Development Manager – Renewable Energy – Globeleq, London Based
Globeleq Background: Business Development Manager – Renewable Energy – Globeleq, London Based
Globeleq is a leading long-term investor, developer, owner and operator of power projects in Africa, where the company is one of the largest Independent Power Producers, with over 1500MW of generation capacity in operation across 14 thermal and renewable energy projects in 6 countries, over 750MW in construction, 1500MW awarded and 3000MW in development.
Globeleq is 70% owned by British International Investment and 30% by Norfund, who are respectively the development finance institutions of the UK and Norway. The company and its shareholders are strategic investors, with ample capital, over 20 years of operating track record and a long-term commitment to the power and infrastructure sectors in Africa.
Globeleq’s core technologies include gas, wind, solar PV, battery energy storage (BESS), hybrids, and, selectively, geothermal and hydro. The company is also actively pursuing new opportunities which are emerging from the energy transition, including seawater reverse osmosis (SWRO) desalination projects powered by renewables, as well as green hydrogen and ammonia projects.
To support the Business Development team in London and the company’s growth across Africa, Globeleq is now seeking to recruit a high calibre candidate with a proven track record of delivery and outstanding capabilities. This is an exciting opportunity to join a high performing and supportive team, who has been at the centre of innovation for the company over the last 13 years and is now implementing transformational projects across the African continent
Purpose of Role: Business Development Manager – Renewable Energy – Globeleq, London Based
The role will focus on supporting the Business Development team in the origination, structuring, bid submission, development, financing, construction, operation and/or acquisition of renewable energy projects in Africa.
The role is pan-African, however countries with likely involvement include North Africa, in particular Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia, as well as Southern Africa.
Projects may be sourced through greenfield or brownfield development, bid and award in competitive tenders, bilateral negotiations with key stakeholders, partnerships & joint ventures, acquisitions and restructurings.
The Business Development Manager will run projects and/or lead specific workstreams, from the early stages of development to financial close and operations. Activities involve the full project cycle, including conducting site visits and leading due diligence, managing competitive bid submissions, optimally structuring projects, preparing and presenting internal investment committee and approvals memos, negotiating key project agreements, permitting, managing key stakeholders (e.g. government, offtakers, land owners and project partners), managing the project budgeting and scheduling, overseeing the financial model and driving the financing workstreams working in close cooperation with Globeleq’s specialist financing teams.
The role will require active engagement with team members based in the UK, Egypt, South Africa and across Globeleq’s network of offices. Some travel is likely.
Key Responsibilities: Business Development Manager – Renewable Energy – Globeleq, London Based
Main responsibilities include:
· Responsible for project co-ordination, working closely with the internal business development, engineering, legal, financial modelling, finance, E&S, Communications, IT and HR teams, as well as with external advisors as required.
· Support or lead workstreams related to the development, due diligence, bid or acquisition of power generation projects, from project conception to financial close and operations, operating within defined authority levels.
· Assess feasibility of project opportunities.
· Lead the submission of bids in competitive tenders, including the optimal structuring of the project to maximize the probability of success, while maintaining high quality project standards and compliance with the tender rules and internal approvals.
· Lead the permitting of projects, including identifying, negotiating & obtaining all required consents to invest in, build & operate the projects and related businesses, working with external advisors if necessary.
· Negotiate and manage the appointment of consultants and manage their scope of work and delivery.
· Conduct site visits, engage with relevant stakeholders and work to secure sites, working with specialist consultants to the extent needed.
· Lead or support the financial analysis of projects, including critically reviewing the financial model and key inputs, coordinating the provision of key assumptions from multi-disciplinary teams, run financial sensitivities and suggest optimisations.
· Lead or support the structuring and negotiation of equity investment agreements, including Joint Development Agreements, Shareholder Agreements or Share Purchase Agreements.
· Lead or support the structuring and negotiation of project and financing agreements – including power, water and green hydrogen offtake agreements (PPA, WPA and HPA), construction contracts (e.g. EPC, TSA, BOP), Asset Management and O&M agreements, carbon credits and green ammonia certifications, and financing documents, as required.
· Develop, monitor & control the project budget, within agreed levels of authority.
· Assist in presenting the project for all internal approvals, including preparation of investment committee and board approval memorandums.
· Design and provide key internal reports on the progress of the projects and key milestones.
· Provide insightful research on the market. Including trends, new opportunities and competitive dynamics, present the results concisely and make recommendations.
· Contribute to the development and implementation of Globeleq’s strategy and business plan.
Actively promote Globeleq’s brand, including building deep relationships with key stakeholders.
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise: Business Development Manager – Renewable Energy – Globeleq, London Based
Skills / Competencies
· Ability to lead the preparation and optimal structuring of projects and competitive tenders
· High degree of competency in reviewing and using financial models, including critically analysing key inputs and sensitivities
· Experience in reviewing, critically evaluating and negotiating project documents
· Due Diligence coordination and analysis
· Strong negotiations skills and experience, including of equity investment agreements, project documents, financing documents, land agreements and partnerships.
· Experience of working and managing lenders, lawyers and engineering, insurance, environmental & other external consultants.
· Detailed budgeting, scheduling, expense management and reporting experience
· Prioritising, planning & organising, with strong project management skills
· Strong analytical, strategic and critical thinking
Problem solving and proactive
· Sound decision making, even with imperfect information
· Achievement focussed
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills; in particular, presentation skills at all levels and relationship management
· Strong MS Office skills, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and MS projects
· Strong team player, with also an ability to work independently when needed.
· Creativity & Innovation
· Diversity & inclusion values and ethical behaviour, including strong cultural sensitivity and awareness
· Ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
· Tenacity, determination and diplomacy.
Experience, Knowledge & Qualifications
· Education in one or several of the following fields is required:
o A minimum undergraduate degree in either Economics, Finance, Science or Engineering (Chemical, Electrical, Civil, Mechanical);
o Specific course work in finance, engineering, economics or policy based tertiary study in Energy or Power Plant Development;
· Preferred to have achieved:
o A Master’s Degree in Energy or infrastructure development or similar engineering field; or
o An MBA, ideally covering non-recourse project finance or similar.
· Minimum 7-years’ work experience,
· Experience in or exposure to energy infrastructure projects (preferably wind, solar PV, SWRO desalination, BESS and/or green hydrogen & ammonia projects), including development, financing, construction and operation.
· Proven track record in developing projects through critical milestones
· Good experience in successfully bidding projects in competitive tenders
· Specific experience in the field SWRO desalination powered by renewables is highly desirable
· Fluency in English is required.
· Working competency in French would be advantageous
· Able and willing to travel occasionally, in particular through-out Africa and to Europe (if required).
We develop, own and operate power plants utilising various technologies across the African continent. With many years of international industry experience, the support of committed shareholders, and long-standing project, technology, finance and government partnerships, we have the financial strength, management and operational expertise to power Africa to realise its potential.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
*** ALSO CHECK: HOW TO SIZE A SOLAR SYSTEM – 5 clear steps anyone can follow