Job Description: Green Energy Support Internship – UNDP, Copenhagen, Denmark
Locations: Copenhagen, Denmark / Home Based
Apply Before: 09/15/2023, 05:00 AM
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: Internship Programme
Practice Area: Nature, Climate and Energy
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Unit of Information Technology and Management (ITM) in Copenhagen is responsible for supporting UNDP Country Offices around the world with ICT and Green Energy solutions. Our Unit offers a stimulating and versatile internship in an international environment with contact to various partners from some 166 countries with UNDP presence. We are a team who work in a dynamic and informal atmosphere, and we expect our interns to become vital members of the team.
As an intern, you will be given tasks and opportunities that have a direct global impact on the development efforts of the international community. The UNDP/ITM Green Energy Support internship programme enhances the academic life experience of passionate students as interns and empowers them to become socially responsible, innovative, and environmentally conscious leaders of tomorrow.
We bridge the gap between academic learning and real-time industry experience by taking interns behind the scenes of the world’s leading clean energy and sustainability initiatives, while learning to take into consideration the local context. By being part of our dynamic unit, you will also have an opportunity to establish worldwide connections with other top-talented interns and UN staff from other agencies. Our office is located at the UN City in Copenhagen, giving you the opportunity to interact with people outside the UNDP ITM unit.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The internship starts from 1st February, 2024 to 31st July, 2024.
Duties and Responsibilities: Green Energy Support Internship – UNDP, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Actively participate in collection of data and information related to green energy solution in Country Offices.
- Participate in the drafting of business cases for renewable energy solutions which include mainly hybrid solar PV systems, energy efficiency, and e-mobility.
- Support in provision of guidance and remote technical assistance on energy efficiency solutions to Country Offices,
- Assist in installation of IoT (internet of things) energy sensors for assigned projects across the organization.
- Support the team in procuring green energy solution equipment, including market research, compilation of solicitation documents, and technical evaluation of proposals from bidders.
- Support in daily monitoring and operations (O&M) of installed solar PV and e-mobility systems across the organization.
- Play the role of rapporteur in both internal and external meetings as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Contribute to the unit’s documentation to support continuous improvement of processes, procedures, and templates.
- Assist the project manager during remote management of installation of renewable energy solutions (solar hybrid systems and e-mobility) in various locations worldwide.
Competencies: Green Energy Support Internship – UNDP, Copenhagen, Denmark
Technological Awareness: Has interest and understanding of renewable energy engineering and sustainable development-oriented areas of work
Innovation: Interest in developing sustainable solutions for UNDP country offices around the world, focusing on green energy, energy efficiency, and e-mobility
Problem Solving: Good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation
Teamwork: Blends well in a team with members from diverse backgrounds with focus on achieving team goals
Communication: Communicates effectively at different levels and has a proactive and a goal-oriented mind-set
Planning and Organization: Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities, ensuring follow through on all tasks
Collaboration: Displays cultural, gender, religious, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability and interest and motivation in working in an international organization
Commitment to Continuous Learning: Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude, responding positively to feedback and differing points of view from members of the team
Delivery: UNDP ITM unit is ISO 9001:2015, ISO 20000:2011 and ISO 27001:2013 certified, thus all works shall be compliant with the international standards with focus on high quality, continuous improvements, and customer satisfaction
Required Skills and Experience
- Applicants to the UNDP internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
a. Be enrolled in a postgraduate degree programme (such as a master’s programme, or higher);
b. Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (such as bachelor’s degree or equivalent);
c. Have recently graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation;
d. Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program and undertake the internship as part of this program
- Experience or knowledge in the field of: Environment, Energy or Electrical Engineering, Climate Change, or other relevant fields is required
- Technical knowledge of the main renewable energy technologies is a strong advantage
- Experience/Knowledge in sizing Hybrid PV systems (with diesel generator) is a strong advantage
- Experience/Knowledge in energy efficiency and/or electric vehicles is a strong advantage
- Knowledge of software tools for hybrid renewable energy systems is an advantage
- Knowledge of HOMER and PV*Sol is an advantage
- Knowledge and a proficient user of Microsoft Office productivity tools is required
- Knowledge or experience with specific Office 365 tools (or their consumer equivalents) such as Planner (Trello), Teams (Slack), Yammer (Workplace by Facebook), OneDrive (Dropbox, Google Drive), Power BI (Tableau), etc. is a strong advantage
- SharePoint knowledge, preferably SharePoint Online is an advantage
- Working with gathering, consolidating, and analysing either quantitative and qualitative data from databases and reports is an advantage
- Demonstrated experience presenting work to both technical and non-technical is an advantage
- Demonstrated professional or academic experience in any of the UNDP Member States is an advantage
- Fluent in written and spoken English is mandatory. Knowledge of any other UN languages is an advantage
Conditions: Green Energy Support Internship – UNDP, Copenhagen, Denmark
In accordance with the UNDP Internship policy, UNDP interns are eligible to receive a monthly stipend, with the rate that varies depending on the duty location.
Where an intern is financially supported by an institution, government or third party, UNDP will, subject to the rules of such institution, government or a third party, pay the intern the difference, if any, between the external financial support provided and the applicable UNDP stipend.
Where an intern is engaged in-person and is not financially supported by any institution or programme, such as a university, Government, foundation or scholarship programme, a stipend intended to help cover basic daily expenses related to an in-person internship, such as meals and transportation at the duty station, is paid by the receiving office (monthly “in-person” stipend rate is USD1,000). A remote reduced stipend (the rate is a subject to the duty station location) is intended to help cover expenses related to the internship, such as internet connections or other means to remain in contact with the receiving office, is paid by the receiving office.
Except for the stipend, all other expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring government or institutions
Interns are not considered staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity
Interns are responsible for securing adequate medical insurance for the duration of their internship with UNDP and must provide a medical certificate of good health prior to starting the internship. UNDP will not reimburse the medical insurance of the intern. Any costs arising from accidents and illness incurred during an internship assignment will be the responsibility of the intern
The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNDP, but to complement an intern’s studies. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship
UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship
The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed, accommodation etc.
Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship
The intern must provide proof of enrolment in health insurance plan
You are expected to work full time, but flexibility is allowed for your education programme
Eligibility for residency and undertaking internship in Denmark for in-person internship option
How to Apply
Do not miss out on this opportunity to be a part of this international team and apply by the deadline
15 September 2023, midnight (CET).
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and called for interview following the deadline. If you have any questions, please write to us via email address [email protected]
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Similar UNDP Jobs
- Green Energy Analyst – Energy EfficiencyCopenhagen, DenmarkDuties and ResponsibilitiesDuties and ResponsibilitiesGreen Energy Analyst – Energy EfficiencyAdd Job to My Job Selections
- Business Development Support InternshipCopenhagen, Denmark and 1 moreDuties and ResponsibilitiesDuties and ResponsibilitiesBusiness Development Support InternshipAdd Job to My Job Selections
- IoT Operations Support InternshipCopenhagen, DenmarkDuties and ResponsibilitiesDuties and ResponsibilitiesIoT Operations Support InternshipAdd Job to My Job Selections
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
*** ALSO CHECK: HOW TO SIZE A SOLAR SYSTEM – 5 clear steps anyone can follow